Saturday, July 25, 2009

Missing Family

We got back from my family reunion just yesterday. It was great to be together. Really, truly was. I missed them as I was saying good-bye, as we drove the 6 hours home, and today as I reflect.

It was held here....
Broom Tree Resort near beautiful Irene, SD (Broom Tree Resort & Conf. Center). The Allreds have really moved up in the world !

One sister was in charge of the Family History segment and did a GREAT job. So fun. She created an "Authors" card came (wish I'd taken a picture) with each of us 9 kids and mom and Dad having their own cards/books and you had to collect all four books. Very creative. And this game...GUESS WHO? Various boards so all 54 cousins could get on a board.


And she made food for us to sample from our great-grandma, grandma, etc. I learned collard greens aren't as nasty tasting as authentic Johnny-cake. Who would have thought?! The Treacle was delish..
There was the talent/skit portion...We never lack for talent, but after 25 years it's getting difficult to come up with new material.One of my FAVORITE parts: CRAFT time for the girls and women. My sister in charge of this had us make scrabble necklaces and these cute boxes.
The necklaces are soooo cute and easy. Click here for the how-to link.

My sisters who organized it did a fantastic job of scheduling in free time for games, getting reacquainted, swimming, etc. We even did a service project for a few hours.

And the grand finale...THE MARSHMALLOW FIGHT. My sister, Kathleen, is a relentless competitor in the fight and is usually the last man standing.The "older" siblings tossed a few and then did this...
What a wonderful 4 days! I'm grateful for my family. Thanks for your wonderful examples and friendship. Love you all!

4 comments:

Margaret said...

I KNEW I should have made everyone wait while I showered and did my hair!

Becky and Todd said...

Funny, funny! We were on VACATION from all that!

Emily A. said...

At least Margaret had an excuse! It was so fun to see you again. I haven't laughed so hard since the last reunion!

Kathleen said...

Yep, it was a good reunion. You guys always make it lots of fun. Bekah and I loved it all.